FMLA for preventive testing?

Employee works second shift and called in this morning stating he is having pre-admission testing and may not be at work today. He also mentioned that he is having surgery tomorrow. (I did not talk to this person, he left a message with our receptionist.)
I know nothing about this other than about a month ago this employee mentioned that he would be having a colonoscopy sometime in the future. I talked to his supervisor and the supervisor knows nothing either.

What would you do if this employee does not show up for work tomorrow? Give him FMLA paperwork? Hold him to our point-based attendance policy? I have never had this happen before. Usually people tell me when they are scheduled for surgery and procedures. Thanks.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Did he follow your call-in procedures? If so, I would give him the FMLA paperwork since you do have information that there MAY be a FMLA qualifying situation. Once he completes the paperwork you can make the determination regarding whether or not it qualifies and if it does not, your attendance policy would take over.