Medical certification for ADA

We have an employee who is falling asleep on the job and has indicated that it is a side effect of the medication he is on.

I am thinking that he may be entitled to reasonable accommodation through ADA, but I would like to verify that.

Does anyone has a form that they would be willing to share? Thanks!!! Clare

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Being awake is an essential job function here. How would you accommodate that?
  • Not only how, why? Unless their a mattress tester or wine taster I can't see the requirement for an ADA accommodation. If the medication is strong enough to put them to sleep they are also an obvious safety risk to themselves and their coworkers. I'd put them out on FMLA until permanency is established.

• I beg to differ with others; but reasonable accommodation could be modifying the employee's work hours, allowing more frequent or longer breaks, etc.

However, before framing this as an ADA issue, I would seek more information regarding the employee's condition. Remember that not evey medical condition rises to an ADA qualifying condition. The first question is: Is the condition permanent or short-term temporary? The next question is: Does the condition substantially limit a life activity?

Bottom line - if it is an ADA condition, there might be reasonable accommodations; but I don't think you are at a point to characterize this as an ADA event.