FMLA - Routine Dental Treatments

Hello All and HAPPY NEW YEAR...

I have a situation with an employee who sent me the following:

"I had oral surgery done on Tuesday, Dec. 26, 2006. As a result, I now have to wear dentures. Apparently, this is a time consuming procedure. For the next 6 months I will have to go to have these dentures relined approx. 4 or 5 times, depending upon the shrinkage of my gums. I will also have to go for a deep cleaning of my remaining teeth in that time period, and regular cleanings every 3 months from there after. At the end of the 6 months, I will have to go again to have a cast made for a permanent set of teeth, and then go back again when they are ready. I don't think there will be re-alignments to those as there is with these because the shrinkage should have stopped by then, but I don't know for sure.

Every quarter I need to go for a blood test and a doctor's visit for "preventative maintenance" on another issue.

My question is this. Should I apply for the FMLA?"

The 'oral surgery' itself would/could have been covered under FMLA if it had caused the employee to miss three consecutive days of work...

However, now the employee is in a position of having routine preventative maintenance and followup appointments the regulations state: "The regulations provide that "treatments" for serious health conditions include examinations to determine if a serious health condition exits, but do not include routine physical, dental or eye examinations".

Would this employee be entitled to FMLA for "routine preventative maintenance"...

Thank you for your input...

Comments