Changing 12-month period

We implemented our FMLA policy in July 2003, as a result of hitting that "magic number", and use the 12-month period measured forward from first use of FMLA. We apply FML whenever possible. We do not treat it as an "election" by the employee. Because we don't have designated "sick leave" or PTO bank, the FML policy protects them from recordable absences. We have not found this policy difficult to administer, and only a handful of cases have been for 12 weeks of leave. They have generally short-term or intermittent leave for chronic conditions.

It is now time to move the calendar to a rolling 12 month period looking back and I'd like to hear from someone who's made this transition. I understand we must provide 60 day notice, and we'll try to implement when no one is on leave, and grandfather someone in the middle. Feedback, please?

Thnx,
Debbie

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We implemented the change when we revised our employee handbook. No one seemed to have a problem with it because most employees don't understand FMLA to begin with.

When a case comes along I sit down personally with the employee and explain FMLA as well as our method of counting their time. Everyone has accepted our revised method.

And I'm glad you haven't had problems yet with intermittent. That has been a nightmare for me since I have over 200 people to watch over. Good luck.

The rolling method looking backwards is the best way to track FMLA time. This prevents "stacking of the leave".