Yelling Chef!

We recently hired a new Executive Chef and on two occasions he has spoken very louldy (yelled) at a subordinate and at another department head in a meeting. It was obvious he was angry. He speaks loudly all the time because he has only one ear so he is hearing impared.

I know I need to speak with him, but I not sure what I should say. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The first thing I would suggest is that you speak into his good ear. (I'm really, really sorry, I couldn't resist.) If he speaks loudly all the time, was it more the tone of his voice and the words he chose than "yelling" that prompted this question? I ask because I'm a bit sensitive to people quote unquote yelling at me, and usually when I take a step back and evaluate it objectively, it isn't the volume so much as the other things I mentioned. (Sorry, side note.)

Another side note, back when I waited tables, I worked one summer for a "chef" from Atlanta, I believe, if that matters. He didn't handle stress well (odd career choice), so when we got busy, he'd fly off the handle at the littlest thing. One day I'd had about enough, and told him so in no uncertain words. After I stood up to him, he referred to me as sweetie and was nice as anything to me, and most everyone else (busy or not) as far as I knew. (I told him we were all busting our chops, yelling at us wasn't going to get the orders out any faster, etc.) Has anyone tried meeting his challenge, standing up to him, giving him tit for tat? I'm not recommending a knock down drag out by any means. (It's really hard to get a good feel for the situation in three sentences.) But it could be that's what he needs.

Also, I have very little experience with the ADA, but I would keep that in the back of my mind and tread lightly since this could be related directly to his disability. Or he could just be a meanie, but still.

So, if I had to talk to him, I might start by asking him his side of the story. Did you witness the incidents? If so, I'd say, "Joe, in the deptartment head meeting last week, you seemed upset when you said such-and-such to Lois. Can you tell me why you said that?" Maybe Lois ran him out of sirloin steak and didn't tell anybody and left him in a bind, which he took out on her in the meeting. If there was an issue, hopefully you can work it out and recommend he use appropriate channels in the future.

If there wasn't any issue and he says "what are you talking about? I just said such and such," you might talk about appropriate methods of communication. Or, you could just do a little bit of refresher training for everyone on appropriate communication, then catch him privately and ask about the situation.

This is a really long response to a short question. :>) Hope some part of it might help. Good luck!
  • Just curious, did this habit of yelling come up in your reference checking? Were you aware that he had a temper?

Kitchens are infamous for this type of behavior. Some people would say its the result of passionate, creative types working in high stress situations.

Personally, I find yelling to be a demeaning way to intimidate someone. He does it because it works for him. If your company culture won't tolerate that kind of behavior, you need to sit him down and let him know he needs to express himself without raising his voice.

It probably won't go away on its own.
  • No,I was not aware of his temper, He had been a Chef at the White House and came with excellent references. He walked into a very diffcult work situation here. We have no "real kitchen" at the moment because it is under renovation & he is producing a large amount of food out of two small grill kitchens that are less than half the size of my home kitchen and doing a great job.

I guess my concern is more along the lines of ADA since he is hearing impaired I do not believe he realizes how louldly he is speaking. I know he is sensitive about this hearing loss. I have never had to deal with a situation like this and was just looking for some insight on how to handle it.
  • That would be tough for him to work with. How much longer will the reonvations last? Perhaps he will settle down once things return to normal, but as Paul notes, perhaps not. Might it help if he had some positive strokes on how well he is performing in this trying situation? It could be that he is lashing out because he doesn't feel appreciated, especially given the difficulties. I don't believe in false praise, but maybe if he got some recognition (especially from high up?), it might help. I guess I am back to wondering why he lashed out, although instead of one specific incident, it could be the situation.

Does he have any input into the renovations, or could he? Some involvement might help him settle down, too, or reminding him to look ahead to how wonderful a new kitchen will be. This is a little more touchy-feely that I typically try to get at work, so I hope my responses didn't make you roll your eyes. :>) If nothing else, I'm hoping to get some discussion from others going on here.

So to try to answer your actual question, I'd approach it as a fact finding opportunity (Seek first to understand - is that one of the seven effective habits? I forget) and then turn it into a discussion of appropriate behavior. "I can understand how frustrated you were when Lois ran you out of sirloin (to continue my made up example), but I feel you went a little too far when you addressed her about it. Next time, why don't you come see me (or his supervisor, or somebody else) first and we can talk about it?"

Maybe if he had a neutral sounding board to get the frustration out, he could calmly handle the actual situation with the involved parties. Please don't think I'm volunteering anyone to be a whipping post - no one deserves that. But if that person could help him to take a step back and evaluate the situation, he might learn how to do it on his own and be less apt to fly off the handle.
  • Given the difficult situation this new cook is under, the fact that he is doing a good job, and his being sensitive about his hearing loss, I would encourage people to be more patient with him than normal.

Seems like a reasonable thing to do under the circumstances.

The White House? Which President?
  • Also, I forgot to mention - if you have an Employee Assistance Program, this would be a good candidate for a referral. If not, you may consider getting one!
  • Just curious, what would an EAP provide for Emeril?
  • Anger management may be too strong of a word phrase; an appropriate means of handlig his emotions and how to conduct more productive interpersonal communications. (Big words for a little answer, but I figured that's what my EAP would say)
  • I see. It could work but I think it might be very hard to convince the chef to take responsibility for changing his behavior.

• It's actually simple. Define exactly what behavior is inappropriate and he either stops it or he will eventually be fired (following whatever progressive discipline you outline).

I think that will go a long way in convincing him. And if you don't he's gone.
  • >Given the difficult situation this new cook is
    >under, the fact that he is doing a good job, and
    >his being sensitive about his hearing loss, I
    >would encourage people to be more patient with
    >him than normal.
    >
    >Seems like a reasonable thing to do under the
    >circumstances.
    >
    >The White House? Which President? George H. Bush

• He probably is sensitive about the hearing but he also needs to be aware of the perception others have when he raises his voice.
  • Yes its simple in that there is a problem but my experience in cases similar to this is that you are dealing with subjective judgements.

What is too loud?
    What is angry?
    What is offensive?
    What is yelling?

Yeah, sure, you can always fire people but to me thats a failure as well. Expensive too.

He's an excellent chef or he wouldn't have been hired by the white house. He is working in a cramped, inadequate kitchen. His hearing is limited.

I say cut him some slack at this point. If it worsens or it starts to affect other ee's, talk with him but make sure you communicate that you know he has been put in a difficult situation.
  • It is not subjective at all. Someone in charge determines the answer to your questions, commuicates the expected behavior and he must agree to change. If he doesn't-progressive discipline.

It's a problem. Just because he is a good chef you do not ignore problems. Ignoring problems is a hell of a lot more expensive that firing someone.

Your response sounds like someone who is reluctant to deal with conflict. You don't like conflict, so you ignore it and rationalize it, by saying, "Well he worked for the White House, so he must be good." You also rationalize it by making excuses for him. Cramped, inadequate, hard of hearing. None of that comes to the surface and gets resolved unless you deal with the behavior.

You like books- I suggest you read "Discipline Without Punishment". It gives good advice on how to deal with behavior. I don't agree with everything in it, but it gives very useful tools.
  • Smace, I think the approach you have described is simplistic and its not how I would handle the situation as described.

I don't mind that you disagree with me but lets leave out the judgements on what kind of person I am, OK?

Let's let our arguments stand on their own merit.

• >Smace, I think the approach you have described
    >is simplistic

Thanks for the complement. As I said, it is very simple to deal with.
    >
    >I don't mind that you disagree with me but lets
    >leave out the judgements on what kind of person
    >I am, OK?
    >
    >Let's let our arguments stand on their own
    >merit.

My post was analysis of why your post was not a good idea to follow. Many times people don't deal with issues because of who they are. I wanted to point that out. I thought it would be good information to the readers. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.