Back spasms on 1st day of workweek

We have a third shift ee who has called in sick 21 days so far this year. 9 days are on Sunday (his 1st day of workweek) and 4 are on Thursday (his last day of workweek). He does get a doctor's note for most (spasms in his back).

The only plan I can think of is to tell him to get his back spasms certified as a serious health condition requiring intermittent leave or we will start discipline. But, how can we discipline for calling in on the 1st or last day of his workweek (to get a long weekend)if he is able to get his condition certified?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm very frank about those things. I let the employee know that I suspect a pattern of calling out, giving the employee a long weekend. Let him know that it appears to be abuse of the sick leave policy, with or without a doctor's note, and that he may recieve discipline for any future call-outs.

I'm not sure about the back spasms being classified as a serious health condition or whether or not I'd begin the process of FML. You should look into it first before you have a meeting with the employee, then decide from there how you want to approach it.

I know this isn't much help. These things are always a pain in the . . . back.
  • We take a very similar approach.

There is no real tight rule about what "leave abuse" is...but we all have a pretty clear idea when we think we see it.

EE's that are suspected of leave abuse are put on an "attendance contract"...we give them a tangible period of time, say 3 months when they are unable to call in sick more than once...and any dr's appts must be scheduled and approved in advance. any leave use must be accompanied by a dr's note.

the goal is to get them to build up their leave banks so that if something does happen, they aren't left on leave w/o pay.

• I agree with what you say with one exception. You said you are 'very frank' with the employee. Then you said you would tell him you 'suspect a pattern'. That is not very frank.

Very frank is telling him, 'John, looking at this calendar (here on the table before us), there is definitely a pattern of your calling in/out on the very days that will result in your having multiple extended weekends and this is not acceptable. This results not only in the company's goal achievement being affected but, also, those in your work-group are experiencing a negative impact on morale. First, do you recognize this pattern that I've pointed out and secondly, what is your plan to reverse it? But, before you respond, let me say that it CANNOT continue.'
  • Do you have an attendance policy? If so, follow it.
    If not, write one. And, if you do not have a policy,
    follow Don's advice.
  • As a last resort, if you're an at will er, do what I refer to as "fire and forget".

Gene