Work at a different job while on FMLA

We are a manufacturing plant with lifting requirements of 50-75 lbs. If a person has a temporary restriction due to a personal health condition, we do not make light duty accommodations and the employee is out under FMLA. We work closely with a temporary staffing agency. Would any of you allow or encourage your employees to seek temporary employment that the employee is able to do (for example light manufacturing, stuffing envelopes, etc.) while under light duty restrictions until they are able to come back to you full time?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would simply remain neutral: not suggest it or encourage it, but what they choose to do is up to them as long as they follow the restrictions. (Of course this changes if they receive STD or work comp.)
  • Unless you have a policy prohibiting any EE from working a second job, you may not put that restriction on one on FMLA. Would we encourage an EE to? Probably not, nor would we discourage one.
  • I agree with Lorrie and Popeye. You cannot attempt to prohibit one from working another job while on FMLA at yours, nor can you punish, terminate or cancel their FMLA. The Act is clear on that. No, I would not encourage that or even have an opinion about it. It would seem to work against your objectives to encourage it though.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.