FMLA abuse - any options?

I have an employee who has been approved for FMLA intermittent leave. The certification from the physician puts absolutely no limits on the frequency of the leave and allows for leave for "pain flare ups". He has not worked at 40 hour week in the last 4+ months but still has FMLA time to use. The supervisor is getting really frustrated, as are other employees, regarding this situation.

He comes in to work and suddenly needs to leave. He says that he will come back and make up the hours (his choice) but doesn't. He leaves his supervisor notes stating that he needs FMLA leave and leaves while the supervisor is in a meeting. He calls in and says that he will be in at a certain time but doesn't come in when he says he is due to his back. I have tried managing this but feel that my hands are tied.

This individuals supposedly needs a cane to walk and walks like he can barely move during his shift but can make it out of the plant faster than most other people at the end of his shift. He was working as a bouncer for a local tavern on the weekends for a while and most recently was trying to show his son how to skateboard at the local skate park so there are obvious questions regarding abuse.

I have tried getting him recertified and it's always the same thing so that won't do anything.

Any suggestions?

Comments