multiple sclerosis & telecommuting

The operating manager of an out-state facility of 10 ee's has MS and will request to work from home when flare-ups occur. She has notified us that she is having a flare up this week & will work from home the rest of this week, which happens to be following the July 4th holiday.

Another manager in the facility tells us this mgr. was forecasting last week that she would need to work from home, and that she said she "will have to play the MS card". It has also been noticed that the flare-ups tend to occur when she does not have daycare available for her children.

Should we be requesting medical certification when the flare-ups occur, to prevent potential/alleged abuse of the situation?

If we determine that she is not actually "working from home", can we at least notify her that we will dock vacation/personal time when she needs time off?

(If she were taking a short term disability leave we would use up vacation/personal days while she waited for the waiting period to expire).

Advice on how to proceed? Thanks much.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Maybe it is time for a frank discussion about the "pattern" and tell her that you expect fairness from her just as you will be fair to her. If she couldn't identify who told you about the "MS card" comment mention that as well. Finally, tell her that you have the right to ask for medical certification and will do so if you think that she is taking advantage. Yes, you can charge vacation or whatever if you determine she really isn't working at home, but how you determine that I don't know.
  • I assume you have a work from home policy?

This policy should provide for measureable outcomes related to the work being performed at home - the managers manager needs to be involved with this whole process. That would be the first hoop to jump through and it is not an HR concern except for making sure the policy is understood and enforced - that is if you have one.

As to the other manager, who is stirring the s&*t regarding this EE, I would tell them to either make a formal complaint or otherwise leave the supervision of this person to her supervisor.

Now if the work isn't being done at home and the burden is being shouldered by the other manager, then the boss needs to get involved, but again, that is related to the work being done at home and being able to verify same.

Then there is the FMLA and ADA. Either or both could impact this situation.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-06-05 AT 08:48PM (CST)[/font][br][br]"Finally, tell her that you have the right to ask for medical certification and will do so if you think that she is taking advantage."

If this employee is on intermittent FMLA, you are not allowed to request a medical certification except in several rather rare circumstances, none of which is threatening an employee that 'you have the right...if you think she is taking advantage'. This may be just another situation where the employee can play an entitlement program to her advantage, although I'm not accusing her of that.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion and with the gentlest of intentions.
  • This location does meet the number of ee's threshold within 75 miles to be eligible for FMLA.

Okay to request medical certification based on determining if accommodation (of telecommuting) is needed for ADA?

Also, we currently do not have a "telecommuting policy" - I definitely see the need for it though!

thanks for the input
  • We're talking about two different things here. One, FMLA is the federal program where an employer obtains a medical certification stating that the absence is medically necessary. Two, ADA is the federal program where an employer considers accommodations. FMLA does not mention or require accommodation, ADA does.

I'm not sure which of those programs you are dealing with, perhaps both. You are at liberty to see that the physician has a copy of the job description in order to get him to state what she can and cannot do. If you already have her on FMLA, you absolutely cannot insist that she recertify eligibility through a medical certification UNLESS the condition has changed, you suspect fraud, her time period has expired or she is requesting coverage under a different illness.

I don't mean to confuse you.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • We have two policies that be helpful to you.
    1. ALL employees who are absent from work for three days or more due to a medical condition must bring in medical certification that they are fit for duty.
    2. Our policy requires that anyone who is out on Fmla must use their pto and vacation days.
  • Well, we now hear from the other manager in the office that this ee is actually at the cottage on Cape Cod this whole week.

She emailed in to her mgr at the beginning of the week that she "needed to work from home". He has given her work to complete this week from home, with progress reports expected.

We will be having a conversation with her when she returns, although she will know who is complaining if we bring up the "play the MS card" comment, and that she was actually at the Cape.

what are these people thinking....
  • Be careful using second hand knowledge. You can get burned very easily.

I would focus on whether she completed the assignment and progress reports as required. I would not use the phrase "play the MS card." I don't think that will get you anywhere.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-08-05 AT 08:32AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Exactly what conversation will you be having? So far, all you seem to have are the statements of another employee (who may or may not have an ulterior motive). If this ee manages to get her work done, you have nothing to talk about. If she doesn't, then you may have performance issues (but then again, you may not since she was out on fmla).
    I think you should be looking to the future and formulating rules that would apply to everyone.
    (or, you could call and tell her you need to drop off some paperwork within the hour and see what happens)

• Gillian3 is the one who recommended 'a frank discussion' in post number 1, above. Perhaps he will explain.

Disclaimer: This message is not intended to offend or attack. It is posted as personal opinion. If you find yourself offended or uncomfortable, email me and let me know why.
  • The suggestion was based on an assertion that the absences tended to coincide with child care issues as well as one which coicided with a holiday, so it is multiple, not a one time event. Apparently a pattern has been noticed and that is something that should be raised with the employee. If nothing else, the employee may notice that the employer has noticed and modify the conduct. On the other hand, maybe not.
  • There is a recent Kansas/10th Circuit decision, sorry I cannot find the cite, that says enabling (which includes setting up an office) a person to work from home is a reasonable accomodation under the ADA. The facts are a little bazaar, but this decision is out there.