Recordable incident?

I just read an article in Occupational Health and Safety that states: "diagnostic tests and procedures such as blood tests and x-rays, and prescribing or administering prescription medications used solely for diagnostic purposes, such as eye drops to dilate the eyes, are not recordable."
So, if my employee is involved in a minor accident, they go to the clinic
1) for drug test
2) to get xrays to rule out injury (diagnostic),
then I don't have to record that?
I guess I missed the boat on that one...

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • That is correct, assuming the x-ray does not show anything wrong.

The one I missed was when an ER doctor told the patient (written on the dismissal slip) to take X # of milligrams of ibuprofen for the next 24 hours. I did not record the injury, and the inspector noticed that the amount the patient was supposed to take exceeded the OTC dosage, and was therefore considered prescription strength and should have been recorded.
  • yes, I read that in the article, too. I cut out the dosages and clipped it to my log folder so I wouldn't miss it.
  • The drug test would never be recordable anyway since it is not regarded as a medical procedure.
  • I knew the drug test wouldn't count, but did not realize that xrays and such wouldn't count either if they came back negative, meaning no injury found. We've had quite a few of these lately, so I'm relieved I don't have to record most of them.
    Thx!
  • You are correct, you don't have to record any "injury" that only has diagnostic procedures done. If this is all, it is never really "treated" so therefore not an injury or illness. We recently had an employee who hurt their back. They were not sure when/where it happened. Our W/C carrier sent them to an orth for an evaluation (and he did lots of stuff). Come to find out they have a degenerative spin disorder that has nothing to do with work. This was not recordable. (We have a very honest employee). Also, in TX had the same thing and it was covered under w/c because they said they can't "prove it isn't w/c". TX is VERY employee friendly. I HATE dealing with them.

E Wart