EE Fails to Report for Work

I have an employee who has approved intermittent FMLA leave. We also employ a flexible scheduling policy wherein EEs can make up time missed as long as it is pre-approved by the supervisor (this can be done for ANY reason).

Yesterday this EE requested to be allowed to start work early due to a doctor's appt. He was scheduled to start at 6:00am and would work until his appt. and return afterward to get his required hours in.

He contacted the supervisor at approx. 6:30am and informed the supervisor that he overslept and would not be in before his appt. but would come in after his appt. (it was scheduled for 10:00am) and get his hours in. No further contact was received by him until he came in to pick up his paycheck at 3:35pm (he did NOT report to work, just to pick up his check).

In talking with the EE he informed me that, upon arrival to the clinic he was informed that he was scheduled for more than one appt. and had just dropped his wife off at work and was in the process of picking up his children. It should be noted that both he and his wife have cell phones and could have contacted us at anytime to let us know that he would not be in.

My thought is that this EE is now subject to our call-in policy and that this absence should not be excused simply because it was FMLA but I want to know what others think.

Thanks

Comments