Intermittent FML

Bear with me as I have asked this question before as to whether we could ask for dr note for IFML and was informed unless we ask for notes from every ee not just IFML ee we could not. My twist now is since we do not call any of the days awarded to our ees as SICK days would that get us around not asking ees for a note and we could then ask for IFML or would this be too close to call and maybe be really taking a chance? Our days are called Personal and Vacation days. Non are designated sick although sick ees can take either for sickness as needed. We prefer they use personal for sickness but if out of pers. can use vac. Sorry so long but the abusers make us want to find a way to get around this. THANKS IN ADVANCE!
Sandie

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Sandie, if you find a way around this, I'm sure you would get flowers, hugs and kisses (on the cheek) from everyone. Unfortunately unless you require everyone to provide documentation when they are sick, you may not ask for it only for the EEs utilizing their FMLA entitlement on an intermittent basis.
  • Bear with me as I have asked this question before as to whether we could ask for dr note for IFML and was informed unless we ask for notes from every ee not just IFML ee we could not.

That, my dear, is still the answer. Quit trying to find a way to mess with FMLA. It will only give you a Maalox Moment. I speak from experience. Ask for the Dr. Excuse for everybody, or nobody.
  • Thanks guys, guess I knew the answer before asking but the owner was so wanting a way around this. Had to ask!! Thanks again.
  • SZEMCUMO: THERE IS A FACTOR IN FMLA THAT MIGHT ASSIST YOU. There is in the law a provision for the company to require a physician's certification of the serious medical condition, which if you use the Certification of Health Care Provider form provided by the DOL, it would get you alot of information you and your boss need. In items 4. 5. and 6. these issues are addressed and from these you can make a logical determination of what you can or should do.

If you will give me a FAX number I will be more than glad to provide you with the suggested form, which you could then use to put things in place.

Now like the others have already stated, once you start this procedure then I would recommend you require a physician's excuse for all medical periods of absence.

Without a physician's written cerification, how could you ever disapprove a application for FMLA?

Ihope this will help you!

PORK
  • Thanks Pork!
    my fax 573-885-2239
    Much appreciated.
    Sandie