Wages for Workers Comp Injury

In the state of NJ there is a 7 day waiting period before a worker can collect Workers Compensation wages. If the employee is out less than the waiting period (say 2-3 days) can we require they use their paid sick time for this absence or just pay them.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know about NJ, but we do require ee to use ST during the waiting period. Not saying I agree with the policy, but I think it is quite common to do so.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-08-04 AT 10:04AM (CST)[/font][br][br]The contract with the union at our NJ plant requires only that we pay for the day of the accident. Therefore, we do not pay for any addtional days. If an ee wants they can use their ST,but it is not a requirement.
  • A little broad question. We are non-union. We do not pay our employees for the waiting period in any of the states where we have plants (GA, TN , NC, TX, CA, CO, CT.) If employees wish to be paid during this period (which varies in each state) they can take some of their vacation or personal time. (STD doesn't cover this either). Or, if they are out longer than (normally) 20 days, the w/c will come back and pay them for the waiting period.
    I don't know of any Law that says you have to pay them for the waiting period, unless your union contract says to or unless you wish to be generous.
    E Wart