Degenerative Spine Disease

I have an ee who came in with a note from her doctor stating that she has a degenerative spine disease and will not be suitable for her current job. She is a clerical person who is required to pull files, lift files, and walk and stand. The note states that she would be better suited for a job that had less bending, lifting, and walking.

We really don't know how much bending, lifting,or walking she is capable of doing. Every position in the company requires lifting of a files.

Where do we go from here?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have a form that we give to our employees when we have this situation. It breaks down all the different activities an employee MAY be required to do in their jobs as well as allows the physician to indicate how much they can lift. It is a form that was developed through a safety committee that I was a part of and physicians assisted in the development of the form so it is quick for them to fill out. If you would like I can email you a copy of it.

I would NOT accept a note from a physician indicating simply "less" of anything. They need to be specific regarding what the employee can or cannot do so we can make an accurate assessment regarding what, if any, accomodations we would be able to make for them.

• Please email me your form I'd really appreciate it. [email]foxhollowinn@yahoo.com[/email]

thanks!