Notice to Public

We are a public employer. I was completing our annual review/update of our ADA policy. I came across a "Notice to the Public" that was published in '99 (before me). It says it is provided as required by Title II of ADA. Basically sets forth that we don't discriminate in admission to the building or operation of our programs and activities. Also give the name of the compliance coordinator and says the notice is available in large print or on audio tape. It was published in the newspaper.

I can't find anything in the Act that says we have to do this. Just the required posted notices in the departments for the employees.

Is anyone aware of this requirement or why they would have done this?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-27-04 AT 06:01PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Title II of ADA, along with the other Titles except Title I, falls under the Department of Justice. Take a look at the Code of Federal Regulations, volume 28, Part 35, which relates to DOJ and Title II requirements.

There are two provisions that address ADA notice and information to the public by a public jurisidiction/entity:

"Sec. 35.106 Notice.

"A public entity shall make available to applicants, participants, beneficiaries, and other interested persons information regarding the provisions of this part and its applicability to the services, programs, or activities of the public entity, and make such information available to them in such manner as the head of the entity finds necessary to apprise such persons of the protections against discrimination assured them by the Act and this part."

and

"Sec. 35.163 Information and signage.

"(a) A public entity shall ensure that interested persons, including persons with impaired vision or hearing, can obtain information as to the existence and location of accessible services, activities, and facilities.
    "(b) A public entity shall provide signage at all inaccessible entrances to each of its facilities, directing users to an accessible entrance or to a location at which they can obtain information about accessible facilities. The international symbol for accessibility shall be used at each accessible entrance of a facility."

There is one provision in the rgulations that discusses "designation and notificaiton"

"Sec. 35.107 Designation of responsible employee and adoption of grievance procedures.

"(a) Designation of responsible employee. A public entity that employs 50 or more persons shall designate at least one employee to coordinate its efforts to comply with and carry out its responsibilities under this part, including any investigation of any complaint communicated to it alleging its noncompliance with this part or alleging any actions that would be prohibited by this part. The public entity shall make available to all interested individuals the name, office address, and telephone number of the employee or employees designated pursuant to this paragraph.

"(b) Complaint procedure. A public entity that employs 50 or more persons shall adopt and publish grievance procedures providing for prompt and equitable resolution of complaints alleging any action that would be prohibited by this part."

The provisions are still in effect, so on going compliance is still required.

• Great information Hatchetman. Thanks for the info.