what do you tell others?

If a company makes an accommodation for an employee such as a special tool, chair, etc. that would help them perform their job, what should management tell other employees who ask why they can't have the same thing? Since an employee's medical condition should not be shared, how should the employer handle this?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think I got this one! I'm studying hard this morning and am reading about reasonable accomodation and undue hardship thanks to Hatchetman providing me some internet links. The ADA portion on accomodations reads that "an employer may not disclose that an employee is receiving a reasonable accomodation [due to a disability]". Instead it suggests that the employer should emphasize its policy of assisting employees who encounter difficulties in the workplace. It also suggests that you "...point out that many workplace issues are personal...it is the employer's policy to respect employee privacy" and that you would respect his/hers in similar circumstances. The employee may disclose the nature of his/her "problem", but you may not.
  • Instead it suggests that the
    employer should emphasize its policy of
    assisting employees who encounter difficulties
    in the workplace.

This is exactly the suggestion I needed - dealing with similiar situation and this has really helped. Thank you.