Any one familiar with McDonald's WC?

My sister-in-law was hurt at work last week....having a hard time getting WC for the time she was off. I know if she worked here it wouldn't have been an issue...she was on the clock and performing her job duties....is anyone familiar with McD's WC practices and can tell me what I'm missing??

We're in PA....thanks!

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Without more info it is difficult to say what the issue is. WC is governed by state law, not company policy. Most have a waiting period before they pay for missed time. Some companies allow employees to use sick time.
  • She does not have sick time (not a full time employee). The waiting period is fine...but McD's keeps dodging her questions...I just wasn't sure if I was missing something...we're usually pretty straight forward when it's clearly a work-related injury.

• I would advise her to call the PA Div of worker's comp (or whatever section handles WC in PA) and report the incident to them. The will be able to move things forward for her. Sounds to me like that particular McDonald's is trying to dodge the claim.
  • I would call the division McDonald's office, assuming someone owns/franchises several in the area. Tell the payroll/tax person there that there seems to be a potential violation of WC law going on at the (blank) location. That will get someone's attention.
  • Thanks! We have so few here...I think I've only ever seen one come through..that I'm just not familiar with the process. She keeps asking me what she should do and I'm just not sure.

In the past they never paid because she received SSD income-which was offset each month by her earned income. Now that she's married, she no longer qualifies, although is no less disabled. The last thing they told her was that she was not off work long enough to qualify?!

Thanks again!
  • In most states you must be off work a certain number of days to receive compensation for the lost time. However, any medical expenses incurred from the injury are eligible for payment through worker's comp if it is indeed an compensable injury/illness. If she has been injured and out of work a long time and the company won't acknowledge the claim, my advice to her would be to contact an attorney who specializes in worker's comp claim. They can be found in the Yellow Pages of her phone book! If the attorney feels her claim is compensable, his/her fees will come out of the wc award. Good luck to her.