Workers' Comp Filing

WARNING - LONG, but I'm trying to be thorough

Since I started this job almost 5 years ago, I have been keeping monthly logs of injured employees/type of injury/treatment, etc. - basically a summary of the injury reports for the month. I then file all the injury reports by month and put a copy of the log on the front of each month's folder and keep a copy in a large binder. Our department is pretty good about knowing approximately when an employee was injured, so finding the records is not a problem. However, I have come to realize that probably every other company in the world seems to have a WC folder for each employee. I can definitely see the sense in this, however I am hesitant. We are a non-profit who is supported by funders. Therefore, for each employee we already have a main personnel file (containing a credentialing file), a medical file, a benefits file, and a training file. Also, since many injuries are client-related, our clinical and QA managers review the cases by month to look for behavioral patterns. My boss is concerned that the medical files (which have LOA info, physicals, etc.) will not have a record of any serious work injuries, so we were tossing around the idea of putting a copy of the injury report (if treatment was received) in that file as well.

What do the learned forum-ites think? Should I stick with the "it ain't broke, don't fix it" school of thought or bite the bullet and overhaul it?

Comments