ADA pay for accomodation?

We have an employee who is very limited on how far she can walk. Her office is upstairs and can't be moved downstairs. She is disabled and under a doctor's care. We are installing a restroom upstairs and I was wondering if the accomodation is partially paid for by some organization? I'd appreciate your replies.
Thanx

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Some disability-related organizaitons may help pay for something like that, but not too many probably. Try the organization that relates to the employee's partiuclar disability; it may have a suggestion.

You may want to contact the Job Accommodation Network in West Virginia to see if they are aware of any particular organizations.

Since you're making a structural change, the cost could be borne by the owner of the building instead of the company. Or it could be shared. You may also want to contact the U.S. Architectural and Transportation Barriers Compliance Board in Washington, D.C., to see if it has any ideas.

• Thank you for the info..it was a big help.
    Jean
  • We just updated the ADA Hot Topic on HRhero.com. That page contains a link to the EEOC's "Tax Incentives Packet on the ADA," which allows you to take a tax incentive to relieve the cost of some types of accommodations you make for employees with disabilities. Not sure if it would apply to your case, but you might check it out.

Here's how to find the form in the HRhero.com ADA Hot Topic:

- Go to our home page [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
    - Go to the Hot Topics section (right-hand column) and click on ADA.
    - Click "EEOC Guidance on the ADA."
    - In the Members Only section, there is a link to "Tax Incentives Packet on the ADA."

Or here's a direct link to the form in the HRhero.com Subscribers Area:
    [url]www.hrhero.com/lc/ada/taxincentives.htm[/url]

Christy Reeder
    Website Managing Editor
    [url]www.HRhero.com[/url]
  • Thank you so much for the information on your ADA site on Hot Topics. I'm sure it will help!