Workers Compensation in North Carolina

I am part of a large corporation with my location being High Point, North Carolina. I have a problem child comp employee who is trying to put us to the test on every issue surrounding his claim. We have never paid employees for the time spent away from work for therapy, or follow up visits on their comp claims and at one point I even had a document from the Industrial Commission that stated that payment was not necessary. I have been on the Industrial Commission's web site and have even talked to Industrial Commission employees and have gotten two different answers. The same result is true in talking to our Worker's Comp carrier. Our Headquarters HR department is also under the impression that it is up to the employer and our Company policy is that we pay for the day of the injury only. What is North Carolina Law and where can I get a printed document to substantiate NC Law. I have also poked around your NC Law web site but haven't hit the right button yet. We do have paid Doctor's visits (up to four per year) but the employee doesn't feel that they should have to use up their visits since they were injured on the job. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I am in Forsyth County and also went to the Industrial Commission website but could find nothing referencing compensation for follow-up doctor's appointments, therapy, etc. The injured employee does get paid mileage for any visits over 20 miles round-trip. Our policy is that we will pay a full eight hours for the day of the injury. After that we require that the therapy, follow-up visits, etc. be done before or after their scheduled shift or on their day off if possible. If appointments must be done during working hours, it is without pay or the employee uses sick/vacation time. This has been the policy with any company I have worked for. We work very closely with our designated provider to try to schedule appointments other than during work time.

If you can't find anything in writing, you might trying explaining your policy to this employee and giving them the choice of taking some of the paid doctor's visits your company allows. If he doesn't like your policy, tell him to take it up with the carrier and/or the industrial commission. As long as you're being consistent and not retaliating against him because of his claim, you should be O.K. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Nat
  • Thanks NAT. Part of the problem is that our carrier is muddying the water by saying that we need to pay the employee as well. Problem is they have nothing to substantiate that claim. I am like you. Based on past experience I think we are OK as long as we are consistent. Thanks for your help.