what to do?

an employee was in a car accident (his fault), driving a company car, conducting company business. He thinks he is fine but I think we should file a worker's comp claim. He doesn't want to. What would you do?

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Is there some reason that he wouldn't want to be seen by a physician (i.e., mandatory drug/alcohol screen)? If it were one of my employees I would have him checked by a physician just in case. You could be looking a possible case of shock or some other type of injury that is not immediately known. If a physician checks him out and deems that there weren't any injuries, the cost for this exam could be paid by the company and worker's comp. does not become involved (our company typically does this if the injury warrants only one physician visit and the cost is minimal). If the physician feels that there is an injury, it can be treated immediately and hopefully reduce any followup or additional injury. If the employee continues to refuse treatment and your company does have a mandatory drug/alcohol screen I would questions why.

One last thing, does your insurance company require that an employee be immediately tested for the presence of drugs or alcohol in the event of an automobile accident? If you are unsure I would check.

Good luck