workers comp???

I have several questions regarding wc. First, can I make someone go to the doctor when they report an injury (lower back strain for example)? Or, do I even want to do that? Can I put on their accident report that they refuse to go to the doctor? Do I have to make a claim if they refuse to go to the doctor? Our wc rates went up significantly. I'm wondering if I am doing something wrong? Should I file a claim on every single incident reported to me? If an employee was hurt on the job, I had that employee go to their doctor to determine if it was a work related injury? I have so many EE say they get hurt here. We do a lot of lifting of mail tubs so anytime they get a back ache it seems to relate to work. Even if they turn wrong to walk and pull their back, they are filing a claim. I'm not sure how to handle these situations.
Thank you for any help. As you can see I am very new at this.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Been there -- didn't know whether to laugh or cry --- did both.

Then I asked questions. I started with our WC insurance broker, he helped me to understand how our rates were calculated, some of it you can address some of it you can't. He also put me in touch with our WC carrier - they provided safety consultations that included identifying safety hazards, ways to prevent injuries, proper reporting procedures and how to manage an injury.

I contacted an OSHCON rep from TWCC. They have oodles and gobs of information they will share. Lots of it is on the internet @ "http:/www/twcc.state.tx.us/". I especially like their "Take 5 for Safety" that covers numerous safety areas.

Then you have to get busy training your employees. Sounds like some "back safety" is pretty critical. Check with your WC carrier, they may give you a freebie.

You might also investigate a safety incentive program to reward safety conscious employees. Good luck.