Here's A Good One

An employee calls out because her son has strep throat. She calls out each day saying she can't get a doctor's appointment and is out for 4 work days. She returns to work with a note for herself from her doctor saying that she was treated on the last day of the absence for chronic bronchitis. She states that the son also saw the doctor the last day but forgot to get a note from the doctor for him.

She called out on a Friday for the son's illness. Never did call out that she was ill. The doctor's note just states he saw her on the last day of her absence.

FMLA or not?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-29-04 AT 11:32AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I would not approve it. But that is me. I think she is lying. Tell her it is going to be an attendance issue, give her the FMLA paperwork for her son. Since that was the reason she called in sick.
    My $0.02 worth!
    DJ The Balloonman
  • The son was the reason she called out sick but the note she brought in was for herself. So if I place her on FMLA it can't be an attendance issue.
  • Her problem would not be FMLA, as it appears that she was only gone one day for the problem (unless there is an issue regarding the "chronic" nature of her problem.

Giving her the FMLA paperwork and informing her that it needs to be completed for her son is not "placing her" on FMLA, it is fulfilling your responsibility to inform an employee of their rights. You also have to give her 15 days to get it completed. If she fails to do so, discipline her according to your attendance policy for her absences in which she called in for her son.

One last thing, without knowing the area you live in, I would find it very difficult to believe it took four days to get a sick child into the doctor's office.
  • The 15 days goes without saying. And yes she will be put on FMLA for her son's condition. I just thought this was a good one!