? regarding FMLA eligibility

I have a pregnant ee. EE told the supervisor that her doctor told her she needed bed rest for the remainder of her pregnancy. I mailed out FMLA paperwork and I just received the doctor's note and it states that the ee requested to be out of work secondary to fatigue with pregnancy. Does this qualify for FMLA? Please help me!
Thank you!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes. The fatique is caused by the pregnancy and it necessitates bedrest according to the doctor. I had one awhile back that said 'Your employee is needed at home to care for children secondary to his wife's medical condition'. I did not approve that one since babysitting is not an FMLA qualifier and the doctor did not say the ee was needed at home to care for the wife.
  • Thank you for your reply. The ee still qualifies even though the paperwork I received from the doctor states nothing about bedrest? It just states that the ee requests to be out of work for fatigue related to pregnancy, not that the doctor recommends bedrest.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-21-04 AT 01:59PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm not familiar with your particular certification form, but there should be check boxes on the form where the doctor has perhaps indicated that she cannot work at this time, how long the inability is to continue, whether she can work intermittently and if there is a period of incapacity that also involves treatment. If he has not checked any of these, return them to her with the instruction that he must. I think it would be unwise to split hairs over this situation. She is going to miss 12 weeks one way or another in my opinion and you might as well start her clock now rather than later. If you deny the request, what will her value be while she's sitting there pouting with her lip pooched out for weeks? Nor can we assume that she must be confined to bedrest in order to be out on FMLA.