FMLA Notice requirements

Are we as er's required to send those ee's out on FMLA a notice so many days (like 2 weeks) before their expected return to work date(FMLA expires)?

Also, if Susy says I will be back on the 15th of Dec. But her FMLA would actually run until Dec. 22nd. Do we send her a notice so many days before the 15th indicating this is the day she said she would return? x:)

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • No you are not required to send these types of notices but I typically require an employee on an extended leave to contact me every several weeks to update me on their condition, etc.. If I have an employee with a definite return to work date, it is after the physician has deemed that person is okay to return and I also receive a return to work certification before they are permitted to return.
  • We even go one step farther than LindaS. The entitlement approval letter we send to the EE includes this statement: "If you do not return on
    (date specified) or have other arrangements approved in advance, (Company Name) will assume you have resigned your position." Since we started that verbage we have not had a problem with over-extension of certified approved time.