Need example FMLA letter

I assume that most people have a standard form for to notify an employee that their current time off is considered FMLA leave. Could anyone please give me an example of what you send out?

My email is [email]rshuster@mahoneygroup.com[/email], or my fax is (520) 836-6681. You could even just post it here, and I (or anyone else in my situation) could just copy and paste it.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Rob Shuster

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The US Dept of Labor, Employee Standards Administration, Wage and Hour Division, has form WH-381 (rev 6/97) entitled: Employer Response to Employee Request for Family or Medical Leave. This is what you should use when acknowledging a request for FMLA. There is another form WH-380 entitled Certification of Health Care Provider, which you should also give to your employee for completion by their health care provider. This is all you should need to grant FMLA.
  • I use the DOL forms mentioned, but also give them a copy of our FMLA policy. I send or give them all of it with a cover letter that basically explains their rights in plain language. It ends by saying that "The purpose of my letter is to assure you that we care for you and want to reassure you of your protection under the law."

Since I've been doing that, I've noticed that employees on leave have been much better to contact me and keep me informed of their status.