FMLA AGAIN

I had another FMLA question...is it law that we require ee's to turn in health certification forms?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Not sure of your REAL question, but the law permits employers to request medical cert info (employer option and most everyone does this), so if you have a practice of requesting the cert info, by all means continue. If you've not done it b/4, I'd suggest starting this ASAP so you can establish a consistent practice.
  • It is not a law that the employer must require it. However, it is certainly to your benefit if you do, especially if you have someone with a serious health condition that can't be seen- ie mental illness. As always though, if you require one to do it, you need to require it of everyone. The DOL provides forms online that you can use as a template for this. Most Dr's are very familiar with these forms now.

NrdGrrl
  • Thanks guys...the thing is I am somewhat familiar with this form (know what is is for not when all to use it) and feel that we SHOULD require all ee seeking FMLA to have them filed but some people do not agree, so I wanted some other input on the situation. THANKS
  • For your co-workers who don't agree, provide them with this scenario: Let's say in a year's time that your company had 20 people out on FMLA of various sorts. Three of them were required to obtain and provide the company with the certification form. Fifteen of them were told that since they had worked there for a long time and their conditions were obvious and they had not missed any time anyway and their leaves were only for a couple of weeks or less, they would not have to provide the forms. Ya' know...why go to all that trouble for leave if it's only going to be 4 days to 10 days and the guy is obviously sniffing or has a cast. Then that leaves only two and the company never thought about it for them since they are senior admin assistants working for VPs. When you get out your magnifying glass you find that all three of those who were required to provide the forms were pregnant, minority plant workers and the rest worked 'up front' and you have a union (or even if you don't). How do your co-workers spell checkbook?
  • I hear ya! Don D. you make a GREAT point, if only I could put it as articulate as that :)