New year?

If you have an ee that uses up all of there FMLA, when does the new year start? Is it calander year? Company policy?

As always, thank you for your time and condideration.

Kari

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depends on what your company determines their "year" is. If you use a "rolling year", they would not be eligible until their new year started. For example, if an employee went out on FMLA on May 1, 2002 and used all their time, they would not be eligible for FMLA until May 1, 2003. If you use a calendar year, that is pretty self-explanatory.

Just be sure you communicate to the employees what your year is.
  • Just as Linda has stated, you need to decide that as a company and communicate it with your employees. I would suggest the "rolling" calendar year. It has worked well with our company x:-)
  • The calendar year is the worst of all possible choices. If you use a calendar year, the year starts on January 1st, for all employees; then you can conceivably have a person off the last 12 weeks of one year and the first 12 weeks of the following year, or 24 straight weeks off. I recommend a pure rolling year, beginning on the first day that they take FMLA of any sort, for any purpose. In other words, the first day I take off for FMLA starts MY rolling year which lasts 12 months. That day determines the start of my year and on the anniversary of that day, my year starts over. The employee has 12 weeks max within each of their individually established years. Caution: If you do not establish a policy and publish and communicate it, the law requires that you allow the year to be whichever scenario most benefits the ee, thus it would be automatically the dreaded calendar year. Hope this helps.