Where to file FMLA Request & Response?

Is it ok to file the initial FMLA request & the employer's response in the attendance portion of the Personnel file? It doesn't contain any blatant medical facts but it does indicate if they have had a child or a serious illness and that doesn't seem right to me. However, I want something to indicate they have taken FMLA time for tracking purposes. Payroll keeps their own (very sloppy) records so I can't rely on them. Any suggestions?

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • we have always kept a separate file for medical information. When an employee is approved for a FMLA leave, the payroll department is notified in writing that the leave has been granted and the period approved. No other information is given to payroll. The same holds true for an intermittent leave. A copy of the correspondence with payroll is kept with the FMLA papers.
  • I keep all information pertaining to FMLA in the ee's medical file which is kept separate from their actual personnel file. For tracking purposes I have a large spreadsheet with each employee having their own worksheet. I track the time missed on this form and each quarter the employee receives a copy.

Hope this helps.
  • I agree with Linda. Our agency keeps medical, W/C, I-9 and personnel information separate from each other.