Working While on FMLA

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-16-02 AT 04:49PM (CST)[/font][p]I have an employee who had a baby almost a month ago. She filled out her LOA/FMLA request to return in September. She has now asked if she can work a few hours here and there. For the most part it would sporadic. The department is backed up with work and could use her. What are my obligations? If she did return on this basis, what backup paperwork would be required? We do not pay for FMLA. They just fill out a basic form that lets HR know when they will return to work.

Comments

• 1 Comment sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I would agree to having her return to work under a "reduced leave schedule" and make sure you have her attending physician's note agreeing to this arrangement. Also, agree to a work schedule that is mutually agreeable (to avoid her ability to just "come and go")and don't forget to count the time she is off against her 12 week entitlement. I find that most employees don't like being off too long even though their jobs are protected for the 12 week period because they need the money -- our company does not pay them for their time off either. Sounds like if you need her and she wants to come back to work, it's a win/win.