mandatory ed consequences

We are beginning HIPAA training and need to begin educating staff on this very important regulation. We have a disciplinary policy that takes steps from verbals to termination. When it comes to meeting educational requirements we don't find that many of the disciplinary steps do any good. Verbal and written notices are meaningless. We give them another deadline, they don't meet that one either. We suspend them - another 3 days they don't get it done. We would also make note on performance evaluations, but that may not be enough to affect their merit increase. Termination seems to be a plausible one to reduce the liability risk of our employees not following regulations, but employees are already hard to find. We want to work with the ones we've got. Any suggestions? We've considered scheduling them to catch up by watching videos but we're already experiencing a staffing crisis. We can't back up deadlines anymore because we are in a group project with other facilities. If we miss this deadline, we'll continue to fall behind.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Money talks. You mentioned that such abuses may not be enough to affect merit increases. I'll bet if it did, you'd get much better compliance. I guarantee they'd get the message that you're serious about training requirements, too!
  • We have a disciplinary policy that >takes steps from verbals to termination. When it comes to meeting >educational requirements we don't find that many of the disciplinary >steps do any good. Verbal and written notices are meaningless. We >give them another deadline, they don't meet that one either. We >suspend them - another 3 days they don't get it done.

I think I clearly see the answer hidden (not very well though) in the above part of your post. The ee's obviously have the perception (apparently rightfully so) that there is no consequence to their behavior. You realize people need to be terminated yet you're saddled with a tough labor market and perhaps hesitate to tighten up and enforce your policy. You have a progressive discipline policy.... yet you say the discipline doesn't 'do any good'....you give deadlines and they aren't met....they are suspended and to no avail. With management's support, I would roll up my sleeves and enforce the policies by terminating the people who have exhausted all those steps in your policy. Perhaps that will get the attention of the remaining workforce. If not, beef up your recruitment options and roll your sleeves up another turn. x:-)
  • I would change the policy on performance evaluations that a merit increase will not be given until all mandatory training has been completed. Yu can bet they will find a way to attend training if it affects their paychecks.