FMLA Intermittent Leave

I have a person who has requested intermittent leave for severe asthma. I've received the doctors certification which has been filled out and returned and we are granting the request. She has been having a hard time over the past couple of weeks and they are trying new medications and treatments so she has been missing some time. Do I have to have her complete a new FMLA request form for each day she misses or can I just generate an internal form to notify her that the day is counted as FMLA?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Can I ask how you keep track of FMLA hours? Is your payroll/HR department computer based-meaning does payroll "talk" to HR through your systems??

From previous experience from working at a hospital FMLA hours were kept track off initially coming from that employee's manager-they would code the timecard with FMLA hours, in her case it could be anywhere from an hour to a whole day-this information was then forwarded to our payroll department they would in return deduct those hours and/or days from her FMLA hours bank with equate to 480 or 12 weeks.
  • I think the intent of the notification is to be sure the employee is fully aware that "X" hours or days have been credited to her FML. Since you already have a completed request for FML intermittent leave and certification, I think you only need to keep the employee informed of the amount of time used/left according to your records.