confidential or not?

Would you consider a driver's license expiration date to be confidental info? Background: Our employees are required to have valid licenses. I was going to send out a monthly list of expiration dates to all managers. My supervisor feels this is confidential info because it's part of an employee's file. He only wants the immediate supervisor to get this info.

What do you all think? As an FYI, here in PA, DLs expire on the day after a driver's birthday and are valid for four years. This is just for my own information, as I will follow what my supervisor says. Just wondering if I'm way off base (wouldn't be the first time!).

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't know if this is covered by law, but I would consider it personal information, and therefore confidential.

Just my 2 cents.

Nae
  • Unless there is something state specific, I don't think there is a federal privacy issue with the expiration date. The DL # itself, but not the expiration date. As far as your company goes, the info is part of your employees' files, and your files are most likely considered confidential, so all contents of the files are confidential. Maybe that is where your supervisor is coming from. Since the expiration date is on a birthday, there may be some employee sensitivity to having birthdates known in the workplace. That might be valid grounds to restrict publishing the date, but I'm not sure I buy it.

In case your company doesn't already, now might be a good time to review whether you have employees sign something that advises that there DL expiration dates will be monitored and published to appropriate mgmt staff on an as-needed basis to ensure that your company is meeting its responsibility for that particular job requirement. Tell them in the statement that publication may not be limited to immediate supervisors and give the employee a chance to contest when the stmt is signed.

best wishes.
  • I don't think this is any more confidential than any other license or certification expiration.
  • Thanks for the feedback! We were running into a problem when employees were not renewing their DLs in time. They cannot work without valid DLs and supervisors requested to know expiration dates ahead of time in order to create some contingency plans for scheduling. I will only plan on sending the exp dates to immediate supervisors.