Younger workers: overconfident but unprepared

Interesting article on teens and self-esteem. It backs up what I have been seeing in our younger staff members for a couple years. They are all "rock stars" but have never really accomplished anything. Their confidence seems unjustified.

This would be just be a interesting social observation except that these young people will be your next workforce and it looks like it will fall to employers to do what parents and our education system has failed to do: create realistic expectations and communicate the principles of accountability and consequences.

[url]http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20081112/hl_hsn/usteensbrimmingwithselfesteem[/url]

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thank you for providing the link. Interesting article.
  • What concerns me is the article states that teens sense of "self satisfaction" is very high. In other words, they are very content with themselves despite any apparent justification for feeling that way.

People who are satisfied with themselves are generally less open to constructive criticism, advice, or direction.

• I don't often disagree with Paul, but I do in this case. My experience is that people with a good sense of self-worth are able to accept constructive criticism without taking it personally. People with low self-esteem usually interpret constructive criticism as a personal attack on them (not matter what their age).

We have to be careful that we are not stereotyping young people based on all of the articles out there regarding Generation X and Y. I have had several employees in their 20's over the past several years and most were outstanding. They were individuals who brought different talents and expectations, and I try not to categorize them just because of their age.
  • The reason they are so overconfident is the everyone wins bullcrap. It's OK for very young children. But once they start getting in their teens they need to understand that the world is full of losers. If you suck at something find something else to do.
  • Well, certainly they need to understand that the world will not reward them for just being themselves. The cruel world rewards based on effort and achievement.
  • I don't know Paul. We may have to be the ones to readjust our thinking. I understand there are many employers out there who have changed their strategies to fit the newest generation. They offer itty bitty promotions for itty bitty improvements. Young employees find themselves being promoted and getting raises continually.

It seems dumb to many of us baby boomers, but we may find ourselves having to give way to it just to keep employees. After all, the price of turnover can be huge. We may have to change our ways to keep the younger ones.

Not in the next year or so though. Too many people are out of work, and many have changed their retirement plans.
  • I have often been rewarded for being myself...

Seems like, way back in my day, we could have been seen as overconfident. My friends believed they could make a difference and conquer the world - they joined the Peace Corps or became missionaries after college or started their own businesses.

Do many people go through life assuming they are doomed to failure? Maybe the kids today are just more honest. Yes, they often get rewarded for things without merit, but that is not always the case.
  • My concern is their self-esteem that is based on nothing. No achievement, no character, no effort. Just good feelings based on being told over and over that they are wonderful.

There has to be balance of course. Kids need affirmation and love in spades. But the survey results (in my opinion) illustrate a problem - and its not the teen's fault. Its what they have been taught for years in schools and in our culture.

• I hate the notion that we should kowtow to Millenials because if we don't, then someone else will. I have one consultant after another - including M Lee - trying to sell me on that concept.

I'm not buying.

My current turnover rate is among the highest in this area, in this business... and almost all of it comes from 18-25 year olds. The ones who left didn't like the idea of having to produce something to get a paycheck. They didn't buy into the antiquated notion that if you aren't here on time to unlock the door, customers probably won't be able to come in. They didn't buy into the antiquated notion that it's not customer service if you're talking to your boyfriend on your cellphone during the transaction. And they didn't buy into the notion that we don't give pay raises just because you started spending more on gas.

But the 18-25 year olds who are still here are amazing. They are dedicated, career oriented, and understand the concept that you get praised or rewarded when you do a good job - not by only being 10 minutes late, or remembering to wear shoes.
  • I agree. I am not trying to make this a "bash the youngsters" thread. They are not really to blame for the values and ethics they have. Those were given to them by their parents and the society they grew up in.

And I agree, there are some amazing young people out there. We had a tremendous group of summer staff this past summer. Many were all stars. I always joke with the standouts that I want a hair sample from them for when human cloning is perfected.

But I have also seen a similar "unpreparedness" for the workplace. Interestingly, the BOLI commissioner predicted this about 7 years ago. He said employers will be happy if workers have a very basic work ethic and understand simple concepts like showing up on time.

The millenials may actually benefit from the problems with the economy though as people start viewing jobs as something to be thankful for again. I am already starting to see it. Unemployment in Oregon just reached 7.3 percent, the highest since 2004.

I have some part time staff working for me who need to show better attendance or they will be let go and for once, being let go means maybe not having a job at all, anywhere. Nobody in this sleepy coastal town is hiring.
  • I just learned that the median age for retirement is 59. WOW. The reason it is so low is because there are people who retire early due to health issues or their skills become 'stale'. With that age as a benchmark, like it or not, by 2018 this is the workforce you will HAVE to deal with...

The employees I have dealt with in that age bracket, and just the kids I know, are great. (I am "Aunt Linda" to a large group of 18-20 year olds in a small FL town)

I would like to pose this question - where did the survey respondents come from? What areas? Affluent upper middle class?

• I think you are right. We will HAVE to deal with this. And complaining about younger people is not my intent nor is it a solution.

I am not sure about the demographics of the survey. I would say it resonates with what I have seen with some of our younger staff and what I have read.

The wildcard is the current economic crisis. Major events generally shape a generation (Kennedy assassination, shuttle disaster, 9/11, et). It will be interesting if this generation begins to absorb the economic uncertainty and develops a view of work that is more appreciative than the generation before them.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 01-16-09 AT 01:04PM (CST)[/font][br][br]As much as it pains me to say this - it looks like you may have had a point.

If you are hiring - are you hiring older, more experienced applicants over younger, less experienced applicants?

[url]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28663645/page/2/[/url]

Excerpt from above link:
    Some career experts believe it’s that kind of mentality that hurts many Gen Yers because they aren’t willing to start small and pay their dues.

"This is the most educated generation, and they were told, 'You're special,’ ” notes workplace consultant J.T. O'Donnell. “Well … they’re not special, and they end up going out into the professional world and finding this out.”

“I figured I was 25 and it was time to make a career change, so I took the leap. I wanted to go into marketing or writing,” she recalls. 'There was some overconfidence there."