Required Background Check

Does anyone have a sample of an authorization form for conducting background checks they would be willing to share? Or at least some advice for writing one? If all I am looking for is conviction information, do I need to consider all the FCRA hoopla? This feels like tricky territory...

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Are you doing the background checks yourself or do you plan on utilizing a third-party? If you use a third-party, they will probably have their own form or at least verbiage you will need to include in your application packet. FCRA only comes into play when you use a third party.

I include the following statement on my applications and required each applicant to sign:

I authorize the use of any information in this application to verify my statements, and except as indicated above, I authorize past employers, references and other persons to answer all questions concerning my ability, character, reputation, and previous education or employment record. I release all such persons from any liability or damages on account of having furnished such information. I consent to such investigations as the Company may make regarding driving records, law enforcement records, credit reports and my general background. I further understand that all applicable portions of this application must be completed or I will be ineligible for consideration for the position for which I am applying.
  • We conduct our own and have the following on a separate statement for signature, in addition to the application authorization/certification:

"I hereby authorize, without reservation, Employer XXX to process a criminal history background investigation from any law enforcement agency using my name and social security number."

Though many agencies have moved away from SS#s, and we have in most instances, our background verifications involve inquiries directly to law enforcement agencies, and they still seem to use SS# to verify identies, as well as race, gender, DOB, and name.

• Thank you both for you information. I will be doing my own on-line and I like the idea of adding it to the back of the application. I already have a statement there, just looks like it could be expanded. I appreciate your help!