Personnel Files

I have a handful of employees review their personnel files a couple times a year. I'm not really sure what they are looking for or at. I have asked a couple of them and they just say they are curious. I have recently thought about putting together a word document that they would sign and put in their file stating on this date they reviewed their file. Does anyone see any legal reason that I should not do this?

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We require employees to submit a written request to see their file. They must review it in front of me. I've only had 1 request for this and I'm pretty sure it was to build his resume...he's still here.
  • The files are company property, the sign in sheet is just another document that the ee signs. I see no reason why you couldn't do it.
  • While I see no legal reason why not, I do wonder why you want to do this? What in the world does it accomplish?
  • My thought is that you may be better by NOT adding a stmt to their personnel file with their signature documenting that they have reviewed the file, but (by all means) allow folks to review their files periodically if your policy allows for them to do so.

Generally speaking, the contents of the file belong to your company but your employees should not be surprised by anything in the file (i.e., they should have seen or signed everything in it before the specific documents were added). It is good practice to be open with employees and allow them to see that your company really has nothing to hide. Also, it is wise to remain aware that some workers are just curious. Some may have other intentions, and you'll probably be able to pick up on their motivation, but some really are just curious, and simple activities like reviewing personnel files goes a long way to difusing and element of distrust by the workers.

We allow workers to review their files with the stipulations that an appt be made so that I or one of my staff can be present, the review occur in the Personnel office, and nothings purged from the file during the view process. While we don't have a lot of folks who ask to review their files, the ones who do are often surprised that they really had seen everything in the file before it was added, either by signing the document or know that the activity occurred (i.e., inhouse documents for wage increases, etc).

Something about requiring employees to sign to document their review smacks of introducing an unnecessary risk or responsibility for your company to me. I think I'd bypass that step. Part of your company's HR role should be to help diffuse distrust. Reviewing personnel files is one small activity that could help with that task.

best wishes.