iniative vs. know it all applicant

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-15-08 AT 07:33AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I have a hiring supervisor that likes to hire people with initiative and does a good job finding out if the applicant has initiative. However, 50% of the time that initiative turns out to be more of a "know it all". We all know a "know it all". That is the person that often becomes the problem.
Does anyone have an interview question that would determine the difference?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Interview Question #1. Do you have true drive and initiative or are you just a know-it-all?

Sorry I couldn't resist...but it doesn't make me a know-it-all.
  • LOL I never thought of the direct approach! I definitely am not a "know it all"
  • Interesting question. My first thought is that the difference between someone who is a go-getter with initiative and a know it all is maturity. Maturity being the ability to know how to apply personal experience and wisdom in a proper way.

I am not sure one interview question will provide you feedback to determine maturity however. My approach (does this make me a know it all?) would be to gauge maturity through several means:

1. How has the individual handled the application and interviewing process? Have they been appropriate in their communications? Not calling every day or giving you TOO much information like a resume that is 8 pages long. Have they attempted to manipulate the application process in any way?

2. References - seek out personal and employer related references that are willing (and able) to honestly and accurately discuss the applicants maturity level. Is the applicant a "diamond in the rough" or just "rough"?

3. Design the interview to include several environments and social situations. For example, include a lunch with other co-workers, a walk through of the facility, or have the applicant sit in on a brief meeting. If the applicant appears to be having a difficult time simply observing and tries to show you how much they know or demonstrate their expertise, you may have a "know it all" who lacks the ability to discern when its appropriate to offer input.

• How about:

In what ways do you raise the bar for yourself?

What major obstacle were you able to overcome in the past year?

What unique experience or qualifications separate you from the other candidates?

What are your short and long term goals?

• I've used worst case scenario questions, and my preference is a practical response that makes sense.
  • Reference checks will probably be your best bet. You might also come up with an in-basket exercise that will allow you to observe the candidate in action.
  • I'm curious. David, are you able to get references on your applicants, other than dates of employment and job title? If so, what's your secret?
  • I would like to know. Other than personal contacts within the HR departments. I get nothing with the exception that It is "off the record" tips. Thinking about "off the record"; it just puts the risk on my company, right?