HELP!!!

We have an employee that smells of BO all the time. People around the office have started to complain and it is causing a problem, because people hate to see this employee come into their office. I know we have to address the problem, but we want to do it in a way that will protect the company and also keep from hurting the employees feelings. Have any of you had to address a similar situation and if you have how did you handle it? Thanks Everyone.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I know this has been discussed at length on the forum but can't find the related links! I'll keep searching so you can get the exact situations that people have dealt with.

You do have to talk to the employee directly. No "hints"; no deodorant on the desk or air fresheners around him. The employee will probably be hurt, but it's something that must be done. I'll post when I find the discussions.
  • Search the Har de Har (or whatever it's called! #-o) for "How to Appropriately Address..." It was posted 5/9/07.
  • Also, if you search "smell" on all forums, you will find a couple of threads which address the issue.
  • The first step I have always taken in these instances is to send a letter to the EEs home addressing the issue. I have a short "form" letter that I use that basically states that there is a problem that has been brought to my attention that needs to be addressed.

In most instances the letter works but if not, the second step is to meet with the EE.
  • Really? You actually create and send a letter to an employee's home to address the issue? You don't just talk to them face to face? I have never heard of this approach and curious as to why you go this route. Very impersonal and could embarrass the employee more than simply meeting face to face.
  • I have met personally with the worker, explained that there are complaints from others (without naming the others), discussed our policy and the need to be well groomed and respectful, and listened to what the worker had to say--whether or not there is a medical issue. I have never suggested there was a medical issue. I have never had a worker tell me there was a medical issue. I have actually sent workers home to shower, shampoo, change clothers, and return to work, and have never had a bad experience with my approach. My finding has been that the worker never had a clue, had a sense of getting the 'cold shoulder' by coworkers, and did not know why.

best wishes.
  • We have added specific wording to our dress code policy revision to deal with hygiene issues. Its much more common than people probably realize.

I take it for granted that people normally shower every day. But that is not the case. I was counseling an employee yesterday and at the end of the conversation I asked him if he had showered that morning and he replied "No." I told him he needed to shower each day because his body odor was too strong.

There is an excellent video called "The Practical Coach" and it actually deals with this topic as an example of how to talk with employees about difficult subjects.

One tip is to use words like "sometimes" your body odor is "too noticeable". Everyone has some body odor. The problem is when it becomes too noticeable. Also, no one (hopefully) stinks ALL the time so its helpful to use the word "sometimes". Be gentle but firm and direct. Of course, this should be a private conversation.

• We state in our handbook's Personal Appearance section that "offensive body odor and poor personal hygiene is not professionally acceptable". This has been helpful to supervisors who have had to address this issue in the past, to be able to show their employees an actual policy that includes this information.

My most recent dealing with the hygiene question was a supervisor whose problem was that one of her employees kept re-wearing the same clothes without washing them, so it was the clothes that were stinky, not necessarily the employee. Apparently she didn't have laundry facilities where she lived and didn't want to have to go to the laundromat very often, but when the supervisor addressed the issue the employee finally understood that wearing dirty clothes was also a form of poor personal hygiene and cleaned up her act (pun intended).
  • We also mention personal hygiene in our employee handbook. This hasn't been a problem I have had to address in some time. However, in my former life, this came up a few times. I always found it best that as soon as I learned of the problem I either went to see the ee or called them to my office and addressed the issue head on. I played it low key and did not make a big deal out of the problem but stressed that it must be corrected. Never had to address this same issue twice with the same ee.
    Good luck.,