Personnel Files

We are imaging all of our personnel records. Do the same rules apply in referernce to having a separate file for medical records/certifications? Our supervisors do not have access to the files.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Others may, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Are you imaging, such as microfiche for archival purposes, or imaging to convert to a digital filing system. If you are archiving, the files are probably closed and will be imaged in the order they are filed, so you will have a natural break somewhere in the filing. Access to the files will probably be very restricted as well because the files are closed. If you are converting to an electronic/virtual filing system, access to information and confidentiality are key. Both would be controlled through electronic security/access. All the same folks who would have or not have access to a paper file would continue with the same access to the electronic file. The difference is that you are speaking in terms of electronic and virtual as opposed to hard copies in a file jacket in a filing cabinet somewhere.

Make sense? Am I even clear on your question?

• I assume you are talking about scanning your documents. From everything I've heard, medical records should be kept separate from personnel files. We have separate files for both.
  • Are you keeping a hard copy file or electronic file?