required medical insurance

Does anyone know if it is legal to make an employee enroll and pay for the medical plan that the company offers? I know we can cover them with insurance if we pay for it but I didin't think we could require they take it and pay for it.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I believe you are correct. Employees have to authorize deductions from pay for voluntary things such as insurance...if the EE has to foot any portion of the bill, I do not believe you can require them to sign up. I would check your state's statutes on this.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-11-08 AT 08:25AM (CST)[/font][br][br]If the employee does decline the coverage make sure they sign a waiver which states their reason for not taking the insurance.
  • I believe you can require an employee to enroll in your insurance plans, even if he/she has to pay part of the premiums. I have worked for several employers that had such a requirement. We always made it a condition of hire that the employee enroll. So, the employee accepted the job knowing the requirement. In one instance, we allowed employees to opt-out of our insurance only if they were covered under another plan.