I-9 Documents

An new hire gave me both an unexpired foreign passport and an unexpired Employment Authorization Document Form I-766. One expires 2/9/09 while the other expires 7/1/09. Which date do we use?

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Either document would be acceptable for I-9 use, and one of your responsibilities is to provide the list of acceptable documents and let the individual choose which document to provide. I would have ask the person to choose and would not do so myself.

As for the dates you have provided, the 2/9/09 expiration date has passed, so that document has expired as of today (the date of your posting). Are you talkong about a hire date that was before 2/9? If so, only one of the documents was necessary (as a List A document). It might be good to review DOJ's Handbook for Employers to ensure you and/or your staff have a good understanding of your requirements and limitations in verifying citizenship for work purposes.

best wishes.
  • Hi Still - The year now is 2008 not 2009 so we would be looking at next year for the expiration date of either document. thanks.
  • Sorry, my bad for missing that & thanks. I'd still ask the worker to pick which one to present and go with whichever is presented. I'm fairly strict about it with my office staff because my experience is that if I'm not I hear eminating through the airwaves from staff in my offices phrases like "show me your DL & SS card" as they are presenting the I-9.

best wishes
  • I'm guilty of that. After years of handing out the list, I never once received anything but the DL and SS card, so I just gradually starting asking for those.
  • I agree that it's an easy habit to fall into, which is why my tendency is to be so strict. I figure one of us in the office has to be, and that's why I get the extra $0.25/hour!
  • .25 extra? You're lucky! I always just let them decide what to give me but in this case my assistant handled it and when the ee gave her both she accepted both.
  • I'm not ashamed to admit I'm up to about $2.25 per hour now, probably among the higher paid in the biz. I think I'll try to hand on to what I have. I get your sign as well, and have quite a few myself.