Online Employment Applications

I have love-hate feelings about online applications. However, for positions that generally attract younger staff or part-time/seasonal jobs, they are almost a necessity.

Recently I added an online application to our website in January and have already recieved 16 apps for summer staff.

The website I used is inexpensive ($9 per month) and VERY easy to use. I was able to jump on and create my little form in just a few hours. The form allows applicants to attach documents too, like a resume.

I am not sure how MLS feels about promoting products here so if you are interested in knowing more, just send me a private message and I will give you the link to their website.

No, I am not getting any commissions or kickbacks. When I find a GOOD product, I like to tell others about it.

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm also making the online app foray. We're adding ADP's recruiting and app tracking module. I hope it helps - paper applications and disorganized HR Managers (no names, please) are a bad combination! Especially when it comes time to put together the annual AA plan.
  • Paul,

I tried to e-mail you but got the message your e-mail account is inactive. Would like to know more about this product.

Cheryl
  • I think you misunderstood the message. It was pointing out that Paul is inactive, not his account.

No problem... it's a frequent misunderstanding, I'm sure.
  • Ok, I'll just post the link and MLS can throw me into outer darkness if they must:

[url]www.wufoo.com[/url]

The features and pricing are perfect for a small organization that wants to have an online application feature. I even get a text message to my cell phone when an app is submitted.

You can see the example I created here: [url]http://cbcchr.wufoo.com/forms/cbcc-online-employment-application/[/url]

I purchased the $9 per month option and that gives me up to ten forms and 500 submissions monthly.

• That is interesting. It looks like you can customize it quite a bit.

Because you are a Christian organization, I realize you have quite a bit of lattitude to ask questions about religion, but what about the question re: personal websites? I would love to get a look at what some of our employees post before hiring them, but it seems like that could get you into hot water. Simply asking the question might get employees to think twice before posting something stupid.
  • I have debated this with myself and others for years. Ultimately, I felt comfortable as the usage of these personal networking sites has grown to allow applicants to list theirs. Its very helpful with online applications as the can feel a bit "sterile".

We will take a look at an applicants Myspace page just to get a sense of their personality. Also, we hire counselors to work with kids and our standards for morality are pretty high. If an applicant has a questionable page, we'd like to know about it.

On the positive side, as these sites have evolved, I find most applicants are comfortable with employers visiting their sites. Many put alot of time into them and they are proud of how the site reflects the special unique snowflake that they are.

After being hired, we maintain regular contact with them via Myspace or Facebook until they finally arrive for summer staff.

This was all very cutting edge a few years ago but its become old hat (in my opinion) now.
  • Some are unique snowflakes, some are just flakes. x:-) Myspace can help you figure that out sometimes.