No Physician's documentation

We have an employee that is off on maternity leave. She was employed for only 7 1/2 months before the birth of the baby, therefore does not qualify for FML. I explained to her she would have to provide me with doctor's certification and a time frame of when she would return to work. She has been off since January 9 - I have no certification as of yet. I contacted her by phone 1 month after the birth and reminded her that I needed some type of certification and a date that she would return to work. She informed me that she did not go back to the doctor until the 18th of Feb and she should know then. I told her I expected something from the doctor on the 19th. She called me on the 19th, said she was 'sick' with a sore throat and would not be back to work until March 3. I again told her I needed the doctor's certification and I wanted it within 2 days. She said she didn't feel like bringing it to the office. I then told her that she or her mother could drop it by our drive-thru.
If I do not receive the documentation within the 2 days, can I terminate? Our personnel policy is generous with time off with a birth, but it requires doctor certification. She seems to be avoided this issue. What to do?
Thanks for your help. I get so much valuable info from this forum!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This post probably needs to be moved but.....

In this situation, I would stick to whatever your policies are regarding granting of leave, whether paid or unpaid. You need to be clear with her and state that if she does not follow proper procedures, her leave will be denied and she will fall under the normal attendance policy....or whatever your procedure is for this sort of thing.

Stick to your guns...it already sounds as though you've given ample opportunity and notice.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 02-21-08 AT 11:03PM (CST)[/font][br][br]You are being diligent but I read a disturbing fact that you do not have any paper trail to document your fairness and attempts on her behalf. I recommend a summation from you of the efforts to date and then set out a termination date, in writing, absent full compliance.
    The Colonel