is this a voluntary termination?

"Sherilee" approached us a few months ago to say that when she reached age 65 she wanted to go part-time because of the rules about income and collecting rher etirement benefits.

We did not have a part time job available for her in the position she occupied, or anywhere else, so she is terminating her employment.

Would you consider this a voluntary or involuntary termination?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If you didn't require her to leave the company at the age of 65, I would call it a voluntary retirement. It is not mandatory that you provide a full-time employee part-time work just because they want it.
  • She wanted to change her schedule, you were unable to approve the change. She chose to leave rather than work her regular schedule.

Voluntary.
  • Agree with the others - voluntary. You didn't terminate her employment. For your own protection, get it in writing from the employee that she is leaving of her own free will.
  • I guess I'm a little curious about the statement about "rules of income' and collecting her retirement benefits. If she is talking about Social Security, once she reaches 65 she can work as much as she wants without affecting her social security payments. It's the people that take early retirement at 62 that are limited in what they can make annually. I believe it's somewhere in the $13,000 range.

Still, you aren't obligated to make a part time position for her just because she wants one.
  • We've had similar situations, and it is voluntary resignation. Based on what I've seen, the 'rules' issue has to do with taxability of income other that SS. Our organization has a large population of "seniors" who also have SS income because of their ages. Before my entry to the organization in 2001, they were being permitted to drift in and out of work schedules based on their tax preferences (to coordinate their earned income with us with their SS income). Inevitably, along about the 3rd quarter some of the folks would disappear for the rest of the calendar year, the organization would be in a bind trying to find help to get the jobs done, then the folks would return in January looking for work. I made a lot of enemies when I insisted that the folks resigned in third quarter and their positions were filled by new incumbents, but it was a necessary step and has paid off.

best wishes.