REQUEST FOR COPIES OF PAYROLL CHECKS

How do you handle employee requests for copies of pay stubs?This is getting to be more and more of a problem where they need it and lose it and then I have to waste my time getting the information for them??

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • If the requests are few and far between, I don't think it is unreasonable to honor periodic requests for copies. However, if you find yourself spending too much time making pay check stub copies, you can consider one of the following:

1. Tell employees that due to cost issues associated with such requests,you are no longer going to honor requests for copies of paychecks, and to be more careful about retaining the payroll records that the company provides them with every check, or;

2. Charge them a $5 - $10 fee for "records retrieval, reporoduction, and disbursement" (or the more commonly known phrase "shipping and handling")

If you have no state law that requires you to produce copies of pay stubs on demand, then you can proceed to implement practices that are aimed at reducing carelessness and a lack of respect for your time.
  • Agree that it is a service to employees, an annoying one sometimes, but a service.

Another step to take is to add their requests to the stack of work you already have, tell them that your response will not be immediate and they may have to wait a few days, and go about completing the request in an orderly timeline considering your other work. When the employee complains that he/she needs is 'now,' you will have a perfect opportunity to remind the worker that the stubs are released with payroll checks and if there is a sincere need to have the information periodically, the worker should consider filing the stubs in a place where they can be located without having to come to your office. After all, if the need is sincere, then timeliness is probably important. The fact that the worker has to come to your office is a delay that could be avoided if his/her filing system is adequate.

Offering your input to the worker on how to eliminate 'all' delays is also a service.