Forgot to ask during the interview

One of our hiring manager mentioned to me that she would like to e-mail a canidate a question that she forgot ask during the interview. The question is regarding to why the canidate left their previous job. I feel that the hiring manager should wait until the second interview to ask, since this really does not have a direct relationship into the ability to do the job, does anyone see anything wrong with this?

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I'm not sure that there is anything really wrong with it, but waiting until a scheduled 2nd interview (if you know there will be one) may save some face for your company and circumvent a miscommunication. A personal e-mail to a candidate from one who does the interview (when no other candidates get a personal e-mail) looks very suspicious, even if the intent is not. It also establishes a nonprofessional contact that other candidates may not have. The candidate may perceive that the contact means the deal is sealed for the job. And it can make your organization look like you don't have your act together. I wouldn't do it.

• I agree with stilldazed - the 2nd interview is the most appropriate time for this sort of questioning.