Professional Dress?

Supervisor speaks to employee yesterday regarding her appearance. Employee has been talked to numerous times on this issue and she just doesn't seem to get it. She's wearing cotton pull-on pants, a vest that's too small for her, a jacket, and sandals...with socks. We are a professional organization and expect our employees to dress the part. Supervisor says that those types of pants are not acceptable, shoes must be professional (not necessarily with a heal, but a nice dress shoe), etc. Employee comes to work today...wait for it...wearing a different color of the same pants and Crocs. In whose book would Crocs be considered dress shoes?!

I just needed to vent. This woman drives me NUTS.

Comments

• 10 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I have an employee I have had numerous talks with regarding their work attire. Believe it or not, she once did something similar and when I challenged her on it she told me she just wanted to make sure. I responded to her remark very pointedly, but it wasn't long before she was wearing something inappropriate again. The last time I told her to go home and change. This was especially effective as this employee hords her leave time, and her husband (who does not work) drives her to work. She would have had to take the bus if she couldn't contact him to pick her up. She called her husband who brought her some clothes pronto (I asked every 5 minutes where was he and when would she be handling this issue), and we have not had a repeat incident. If you're lucky, you will find the key to motivate the employee to dress appropriately...for their own sake if not for yours or the company's.

Good luck!

Nae
  • Sounds similar to our Problem Child. She hoards her time and knows every way to work the system in her favor. I think I will tell the supervisor to inform the employee that the next time she arrives inappropriately dressed, she will be sent home. Unfortunately this means we will have to pull someone from another department for at least an hour since the PC is the receptionist. Yes, our initial impression to customers is a frumpy woman.
  • Also in Banking... we cover the Professional Dress Code in our employee handbook. If an ee is not in compliance, we simply follow our performance improvement program (counseling steps). We have never had to term anyone over dress code violations but we have had to complete a few write ups and also sent one home to change. It usually takes care of itself when they realize that you serious about the dress code.
    We hold our Supervisors responsible to enforce the dress code in their dept. Of course they sometimes do this by telling the ee, "The HR Dept. has informed me that you are not in compliance with our dress code and they said....." This approach causes me to wonder how they will handle a serious matter if they cannot address something as simply as a dress code violation. Life goes on....

• The supervisor usually wants me to address this employee because of the issues they've had in the past. In my opinion (although I do it), this undermines her authority as a supervisor. I will again encourage the supervisor to deal with the problem herself. I will be there and support the conversation but I believe it should come from the direct supervisor. Write ups are a good idea also.

I wish, wish, wish this employee would MOVE ON!
  • I completely agree that by you handling the supervisory situation, it completely undermines her authority as a supervisor. I agree with you being there to coach her and support her to help her prepare for the conversation, and if she still needs assistance, even sitting in on the meeting and jumping in if she really goes down the wrong path. However, it would be important that she take the lead on the conversation. Addressing performance issues, attendance issues, or dress code issues are part of her job as a supervisor, and by you continuing to handle issues for her only enables her to not do her job.
  • You may have already done so, but offer to be present during the confrontation.

Aside from that, be fair and consistent, but continue with the confrontations when they are warranted. In the end you will either have a valuable employee, or she will move on.

best wishes
  • [url]http://www.hrhero.com/employersforum/DCForumID18/744.html[/url]

I knew the phrase "pull on pants" sounded familiar. x:-) This women is being purposely obtuse. Maybe you do need to push progressive discipline and just fire her if she continues to pull this crap.

Or... maybe she is not bright enough to "get" what your dress code means. In that case, she probably is not qualified to stay in the position.

Jeez I sound mean about this clueless croc-wearing woman, but really... Ugh.
  • I am in California and work for a State department. Dress codes are very difficult to enforce, so we address this issue on a case by case basis. Our Chief Deputy has discussed inappropriate dress with a number of females who have arrived at work in mini-skirts/dresses, spaghetti strap blouses or shirts, etc. Her question to these individuals is, "Would you wear that outfit to go clubbing?" If their answer to her is "yes," she sends them home to change. My standard is, "Dress as you would if you were going to interview for the professional job of your dreams."

The key is, as in many situations, is being consistent in your requirements among the women and among the men, as well as between the two genders, e.g., if men get to wear shorts [how short?] or sweat clothes [designer, no holes, clean], so should the women (this type of clothing is considered appropriate in the warmer and cooler months, respectively, for individuals who have no contact with executive staff, customers, or the public). It is an on-going problem and a difficult call.

• Almost everything you have said about this employee has been negative (works the system, inappropriate dress, past issues) so my question is why not cut her loose and devote your energy elsewhere?

Is there a reason you are putting up with this?
  • We have a written dress code, but many tend to ignore it, especially in the summer months when it gets really hot in the South! The dress code is gone over with everyone in new employee orientation. Violaters get counseled once if they wear inappropirate attire and advised not to wear this type of garment again (some people just don't know what appropriate means!). If they do it again, they are sent home without pay. If they do it again, termination is warranted. We have not had to terminate yet.

Our main issue is females who wear clothing that is too revealing. Either they bare their midriffs or they wear these "baby doll" type tops that are too low cut. I had one employee wear exercise tights and a ballerina type gauzy skirt over this. How in the world would anyone ever think this is something you would wear to work!