Problem at Holiday Party

At our party Monday night an employee thought her purse had been stolen. She was looking under tables cloths & knocking glasses over. She went into the kichen & knocked a bowl of potato chips in the floor & went into the ladies room & knocked over the potpouri. Yes, we did serve alcohol. This employee is not a great performer, but her manager has not documented. I just learned of this out burst today & I would like to terminate, but am meeting with some resistance from our higher ups since this happened at a party they think she should be given another chance. How would you handle this?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Let me put it to you this way ... I wouldn't mind being the plaintiff attorney for the wrongful termination case that would likely follow ... IMO ... and I'm not a lawyer.

Plaintiff Attorney (PA): Tell me, CEO, have you had company-sponsored parties in the past where you have served alcohol?
    CEO: Yes we have.
    PA: How many in the past, say, 20 years?
    CEO: I'd say 20 to 30
    PA: How many? Twenty, or Thirty?
    CEO: Closer to thirty.
    PA: And has anyone ever had too much to drink, and behaved in an unprofessional manner at the party?
    CEO: I suppose so.
    PA: Is that a "yes," or a "no?"
    CEO: Yes
    PA: How many employees have had too much to drink at company sponsored parties during that time, then?
    CEO: Probably about ... ten.
    PA: Were you ever one of those people?

Yada Yada Yada.

I'd do a documented oral counseling, and make darn sure that the manager starts proper documentation ... and make sure that the person isn't being singled out and disciplined for things that other people aren't.

Given the facts you've provided, much too risky to term, IMO. FWIW.
  • I agree that termination is risky given other factors: voluntary attendance, not a work environment, missing purse, alcohol provided by employer, . . .. If no one is pressing charges, a more appropriate move might be to discretely counsel the worker, investigation the allegation of the missing purchase, and reconsider alcohol at next year's party.

best wishes.
  • I'm curious. Why do YOU want to terminate? Have you received complaints from the party place? Did she get other employees involved?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-13-07 AT 08:35AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Thanks guys. I was venting when I wrote this email. I did advise the manager to counsel her on the behavior and to make sure he was documenting the performance issues.
  • I would not terminate, but I would certainly counsel on appropriate behavior at a company sponsored event. This, among other reasons, is why we went to a cash bar. We used to have an open bar (before huge liability was in place) and employees got trashed by the end of the evening and acted like people you had never met before.

I've also found the more expensive the drinks, the sober the group stays. We also have a coffee/dessert bar that we start at 11PM when we cut the drinks off.

• I wouldnt terminate either. But I also wouldnt put her in charge of catering next year.

This sounds like something that can be handled with a conversation and some documentation.
  • Since coming into HR, have made a few changes starting with pulling the two drink tickets from the budget for the holiday party which almost cut the cost in half. For the last couple years, have sent around a "reminder" the day before our holiday party. Attached below is the one from last year.

Best advice is to have your management team there (and on their best behavior too). We had some issues a few years ago after an aquisition on past behaviors from upper management at conventions, etc. Best way to police it is to list what you expect and what will happen if they don't live up to those expectations for company sponsored events.

Holiday parties are a different animal since they're on "off time" but still think the message about appropriate behavior works.

Hi all,

At the risk of being labeled a “party policeperson” saw this quote today and thought the timing for sharing it was perfect.

Office Party Behavior

"Of course, you should enjoy yourself at an office party, but it's not the time to lose all one's inhibitions. Too often, people think they should try to prove what a fun person they are at an office party. They forget that the people they're with at the party are still the people they work with and whose respect they still want to have the next day."

Donna Pilato, New Jersey-based Editor and Guide at [url]http://entertaining.about.com[/url]

That being said, we hope you enjoy yourself at the party.

See you tomorrow night!

• <<< I've also found the more expensive the drinks, the sober the group stays. We also have a coffee/dessert bar that we start at 11PM when we cut the drinks off. >>

Rockie, any openings in HR at your place? If the party is still going strong at 11pm, that's a place that knows how to have a good time!