Gossip and Confidentiality

How would people out there deal with this? Employee A is an upper level manager. Her daughter was an ee in the past (B), is currently not. B witnessed a 3rd ee (C) in the parking lot chatting during lunch with partner. B gets on phone and tells child C's partner what she saw. The whole circle thing ensues and now C's confidentiality is compromised. Our employees sign confidentiality agreements at the time of employment, but B is not an ee any more. Do I say something because of the effect on ee C, or do I need to let it be because B is not an ee. C does not feel she can comfortably approach A about it. Help!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I may be misunderstanding something- but it sounds that whatever C was doing in parking lot is open to the public veiwing area, and not an issue of confidentiality in the workplace.
  • True. I guess I figured that was the bottom line: outside of work therefore not governable by employer. It just created a bit of stress for ee C including having an ex-wife now know where she is employed, etc. As an org, we really try to protect our ee privacy because of what we do and the families we work with.
  • I don't understand the story. Who/what is "partner"? Also what is "child C's partner"? If C's confidentiality being compromised has affected her ability to do her job, it's a huge deal. Without any other info I would hold A responsible because it was her "guest" on the property that caused the problem.
  • I was never good with word problems. What is the issue? Can you re-summarize it without the letters?

I think the answer is that both trains arrive at the station at the same time but I am pretty sure I misread something.
  • That's exceptionally confusing. Could you just use fake names so it flows better?

• I agree that I am confused, but I also don't think I see an issue of confidentiality in the workplace.

Whatever C may have been doing must have been in plain view of whomever was in the parking lot. If C didn't want anyone to know about whatever the encounter was, maybe C should have chosen a different location--potentially more private since 'confidentiality' and 'gossip' seem to be the concern. Unless your employer has posted signs all over the parking lot insisting that what goes on within the confines of the parking lot is priveleged and confidential, you don't have an issue.

C may be suffering some consequences of poor judgment and wants to lash out at the rest of the alphabet, but that's all you have. So, for the sake of asking, why would you think you have a confidentiality issue? If you're in HR, it is wise to not let yourself get caught up on others' gossip games.

• >How would people out there deal with this? Employee A is an upper level
    >manager. Her daughter was an ee in the past (B), is currently not. B witnessed
    >a 3rd ee (C) in the parking lot chatting during lunch with partner. B gets on
    >phone and tells child C's partner what she saw. The whole circle thing ensues
    >and now C's confidentiality is compromised. Our employees sign confidentiality
    >agreements at the time of employment, but B is not an ee any more. Do I say
    >something because of the effect on ee C, or do I need to let it be because B
    >is not an ee. C does not feel she can comfortably approach A about it. Help!

Sounds like B is trying to stir up things between C and A and their partners, but C is not buying into it by not approaching A about what B saw. Was C chatting with A's partner and B calls up C's partner and tells them what she saw? What did C's partner have to say to C. Is A secretly ( obviuosly not in the parking lot) seeing C's partner and B caught them, or is this a ruse to confuse all and we will see this on a sitcom in the future. Should we stay tuned? You should tell A to let B know that they are no longer welcome on the premises, but then A would know what C is doing and that would open up a sequel to our sitcom. You may have a future in writing if they come off strike. Not for sure how I would handle it since it was a personal matter between A,B & C and A and C's partners and would probably just let it go.