Suspicious SSN

Without going into a thread regarding the merits of the Basic Pilot Program or any other programs - I need advice on a current matter.

I began running a background check on an applicant who has work history here in the US for the past several years. However, his SSN came back as being issued in 2007. Now obviously, I know you can work here without a SSN...but since we cannot specify which documents we want to see for I-9 verification (I would love to see a certificate of naturalization or alien registration card), am I at a standstill as to getting more information about his employment eligibility?

His drivers' license appears to be genuine, and he answered "Yes" to the following questions on our application:

"Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?"

"If hired, are you able to furnish proof of eligibility to work in the United States?"

I just have a gut feeling about this, and want to know if I can do anything about it or if my hands are tied.

Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Need Coffee,

We get odd reports on our checks at times showing address which never appear to agree with the information we have received for the work history say the number was issued years ago and used in WY and the EE never showed he worked or lived there in the last 7 yrs and it is within that time, or we've even gotten them back showing deceased. What I have done is advised the EE we received some information back indicating conflicting information and I ask them to go to the SS Administration office and get a letter to verify this is their SS number. Sometimes it turns out OK but most of the times they leave and never return. At year end after W-2's go out they show up on the list. We used to do this verification process after hire, now we do this process after offer but prior to hire. We have had several who had Identity theft and had the SSN being used and it was theirs. This way I'm not asking for additional documents just verification the documents used are legitmate.

• Although you cannot require the employee to show his/her SS Card as I-9 confirmation, you can ask to see it for payroll purposes. You have the right to confirm the name and SSN for payroll.
  • Can I ask for them prior to offer though? We have not made a formal offer, we have just told him that an offer of employment will be contingent upon passing drug screen and background check.
  • Did he pass the background check? If he is currently legal to work in the US it doesn't matter if he was illegally working for other's in the past. I would not ask him to do anything that you don't ask others to do.
  • Sarah,
    Just stumbled across this link. New SSN's can be assigned to victims of domestic violence or individicuals whose lives are endangered. While it may not be the case in your situation, I though you might want to be aware.

[url]http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10093.html[/url]
  • NeedCoffee: There is an on-line verification system that the employer may join. We are members of both the SSA program and the Basic Pilot Program. T

he completion of the I-9 as a part of the enrollment process gives you every right to seek SSN verification. In the completion of the I-9 the person is required to make his/she selection of one of three types of characters. The first is for US Citizens the next two require the presentation of a work permit. When we get a mis-match we stop the enrollment process and send the individual on to the appropriate department for correction of Federal Department records. When they come back with corrected information we pick-up the enrollment process and go on from there. You can bet that the I-9 is executed earlyu int the process.

SAVE has stopped all worrys by myself about the correctness and the liability for good enrollment processes.

Ole PORK is headed out the door on December 31 to live in the world of the retired persons. Go SAVE and retire in peace!

RICHARD, ALSO KNOWN AS PORK, the SAVE Chamption in Mississippi